Help us pick our new puppy!

Monday, May 31, 2010

Delayed Gratification

I've always been sort of an instant gratification kind of girl.  When I decide I want something, or want to do and experience something, I am horrible about actually waiting for what it is I'm wanting to come to fruition.  It is almost a painful process for me and the thought of whatever it is I'm after starts to consume me.  Needless to say, right now, I'm talking about my garden.

Today the ETM (Evil Training Monster) and his wife were still away on vacation which means I was able to avoid my 5:00 a.m. wake up call and sleep in, a very rare occurrence in our home.  I think we finally got up around 7:30 a.m.  Michael and I sat outside and enjoyed the beautiful morning before deciding to walk Hunter down to Cosmos Coffee Shop for a little pre-garden building breakfast.


In addition to swimming, his green bone, getting hand outs from everyone's lunch at work, morning scratches and playing with Poppy, going on walks in the neighborhood is one of Hunter's favorite things in the whole world.


Cosmo's Coffee Shop is a neighborhood eatery with quick, healthy sandwiches, salads, bagels and of course, coffee.


We do love Cosmo's but I have not had quite the heart to add one of these to my car.




Michael's breakfast sandwich was just enough for him....with a few bites left over for Hunter. 



He never seems to beg the same way from me.  Maybe fruit and yogurt doesn't do it for him but I like the Cosmo's combo.  They make their own granola and keep it pretty light.  It is mostly fruit with just a bit of the granola mixed in for crunch and about 1/2 cup of low fat yogurt.









After breakfast and the morning walk, it was time to get to work building my planter box for the garden.


I have the best husband in the world.  He spent a few hours helping me get the area prepped and the planter built and even let me have a Tool Time moment cutting a board myself.


I actually look like I know what I'm doing.  An hour later and poof!  Planter box is installed.



Unfortunately though with the holiday all the bulk soil places are closed so I'm stuck waiting until Michael can go by to get what we need this week.  So, while I researched what type of soil mixture we need to buy, I made a big salad for lunch with shark and corn from yesterday's barbecue.


And since I really wanted something sweet I also munched on a 50 calorie vegan almond cookie I picked up while we were at Cosmos.



I spent some time this afternoon looking through recipes on Cooking Light's website.  I know, I may sound repetitive since it is my "go-to" solution when I'm looking for something to make for dinner.  I find that the recipes are easy, taste great and are, of course, healthy.  Each recipe gives nutrition content and when you are food journaling and trying to track your calories, that's key.

Tonight I made Stuffed Summer Squash (see my recipe page for a link to the recipe).  I made a few adjustments to the recipe that is posted and added one link of spicy Italian pork sausage (removed from the casing)  to the ground turkey, and corn left over from the barbecue.  I also doubled the recipe so that we could take it for lunch and have plenty of leftovers.





The top of the squash gets nice and crisp and the sweetness of the corn is a good offset to the spicy sausage.  We had dessert tonight too with yesterday's remaining grilled fruit, a tiny bit of Fage sweetened by Agave and ginger snaps.  This is Michael's portion.  I had about half of that, but could have easily gone back for more!



I'm on a quest to make the perfect baked oatmeal and so far have not hit the right combo.  Tonight I made pumpkin oatmeal with raisins and walnuts.  I'm keeping fingers crossed that it turns out the way I hope.


Big day tomorrow attending the California Restaurant Association Gold Medallion Awards Ceremony, meetings with Sur La Table, and closing advance sales for The Gourmet Experience.

It is also final day for this round of Game On so I'll be at the gym first thing in the morning.  Time for tea, bed and my audio book!




No comments:

Post a Comment