Help us pick our new puppy!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Red Door

Recently Becki, Jolee and I met up for dinner at the Red Door in Mission Hills.  The restaurant has been around for almost a year now and it has taken me way too long to get in to meet with Chef Brian Johnston.


The girls ordered one of the Chef's famous flatbreads and of course, I had to have a tiny sliver...just to taste!  Barbecue chicken, goat cheese, and I think pancetta if I remember right, topped with a little cilantro.  I managed to stop myself at just one piece, my trainer does read this after all.  He has a way of making me pay later!


The Red Door's wine list focuses on small production wines from around the world which proved to be a fun test of my new WSET knowledge.  I had the Chateau des Gravieres Bordeaux Blanc which is a blend of sauvignon blanc and semillion. 






The chef's cuisine is comfort classics at their best and since the girls and I could not make up our minds we decided to split a few of the chef's favorites.  The "Surf & Cheeky Turf" came with sauteed sea scallops, braised pork cheek, roasted garlic jus, fresh vegetables and crispy polenta.  HEAVEN!


We also shared Manila Clams and Chorizo with garlic, white wine, tomato and parsley


Becki LOVES short ribs and its rumored that the Red Door serves some of the best.  The boneless Meyer all-natural beef short ribs were braised in red wine and veal stock and served with Yukon mashed potatoes, onion straws, veggies and Cabernet sauce.  I did not get a picture, probably because it was gone before I realized I had not taken one.

And for dessert, the lemon curd with fresh berries in a caramelized phyllo cup.  I think that's Jolee's spoon in the photo, she could not wait for me to snap the picture!


The Red Door
741 West Washington Street
San Diego, CA 92103-1937
(619) 295-6000

No comments:

Post a Comment