Help us pick our new puppy!

Monday, July 12, 2010

Spicy Tuna Cakes

Before we got to the movie though, Michael and I had one of those nights where we kept staring at each other trying to decide what to do for dinner.  Nothing he suggested sounded good to me, and nothing I wanted sounded appealing to him.  We put off the decision, took Hunter on a short walk, and came back home still without a plan.


Whenever this happens I find that opening the cabinet and staring blankly inside helps.  It helps if you repeat this with the refrigerator too.  Well, okay not usually but Saturday night it did the trick.

I opened the pantry and poof, there were a few cans of Oregon's Choice jalapeno gourmet albacore and I thought, tuna cakes!


I made this up based on the ingredients I had at home.  These turned out really savory with a good amount of heat to them.  I served them over a bed of salad greens and a little Galeos Miso Caesar Dressing.

 Spicy Tuna Cakes
  • Two cans of quality tuna such as Oregon's Choice Gourmet Albacore
  • 1 jalapeno, diced
  • 1/4 cup of reduced fat mayo
  • 1/2 cup of whole wheat panko (divided)
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1/4 cup salsa
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Pepper
Take 1/4 cup of panko and mix with 1 tsp of pepper.  Set aside.  Mix tuna, jalapeno, mayo, remaining 1/4 cup of panko, lemon juice, and salsa.  Form small palm-sized, 1/2 inch thick patties with the tuna and set aside.  Coat outside of patties with remaining 1/4 cup of panko and pepper mixture.  Warm olive oil over medium-high heat.  Cook 3 - 4 minutes both sides or until golden brown.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment