I also have to say that I am not a registered dietitian nor a credentialed health expert. I just know what has worked for me and am all to happy to share in my experience.
According to the Game On Website the program is:
So much more than a diet, Game On! is a revolutionary approach to health and fitness.
Whatever your fitness goals, whatever your life goals, the Game On! Diet will help you meet them. More than that, you'll actually have FUN doing it. The Game On! Diet is fun, funny and fiercely competitive. You'll have such a blast playing that you won't even notice you're dieting.
Essentially, Game On is a fitness challenge where you partner up in teams and compete against each other for points which are earned for completing a series of tasks each day. The team at the end of the month with the highest number of points, wins!
To Form Teams:
Its easy, just get friends or relatives, coworkers and neighbors to play. It does not matter how big or small the teams are, and anyone at any fitness level can play. The Game lasts for one month, then, should you wish to continue, you take one week of and then start again.
To Earn Points:
There are a number of activities that must be accomplished each day in order to earn points. I encourage you to read the book in order to get them all but this will give you an idea on how easy this program is:
- Drink 3L of water each day
- Eat five meals, every two to four hours apart consisting of a thumb of fat, a palm of protein and a fist of carb (yes, that's actually how you are supposed to measure!)
- Two of your meals each day must contain greens
- Exercise at least 20 minutes a day
- Get 7 hours of sleep a night (or at least be in bed, ready to sleep 7 hours before you need to be up)
- Adopt one new, good habit that you will do each day
- Get rid of one, bad habit and make sure you don't do it!
- Regarding what you eat, there is a list of approved foods in the book as well as foods to stay away from. Mostly it is common sense and is very easy to follow.
- You get one day off a week to ignore ALL Game On Rules, including diet parameters
- You get one meal off a week in addition to your day off to relax on the rules as well
- Communicate with fellow players once each day
For me, playing the Game has been a fun way of keeping me present in my goal and creating a community in which to share my experience with others who are on the same health and fitness quest.
We are almost one week into this round and will be starting a new game three weeks from this coming Wednesday. Anyone interested in forming a Fitness & The Foodie team?